Volunteering can have a huge impact on you. How?
- Making a difference – helping others makes us happy!
- Developing new skills or re-igniting forgotten ones.
- Increasing your job opportunities.
- Not having enough time is considered to have a detrimental effect on happiness. Counter-intuitive as it sounds, volunteering can increase your perception of how much time you have, and lower your stress in the process.
- By volunteering you are making a valuable contribution to the community in which you live.
- For young volunteers still in education it can help build social skills, and confidence. Volunteering work on a CV can be seen as a great positive for further education establishments and potential employers.
- Nurturing new friendships.
- Providing a sense of purpose.
Our volunteers often bring skills already acquired that complement the SNAP team. Any training required is given and our volunteers are only asked to do what they feel comfortable with. You can volunteer on an adhoc basis, or more often, and we and we regularly update our volunteers on opportunities to get involved.
If you are interested in volunteering then our team would be delighted to invite you into The SNAP Centre for a tour and an initial chat about upcoming opportunities. Please contact us using our online form.
“I can honestly say that coming to SNAP is the best part of my week. It doesn’t even feel like I’m volunteering it just feels like I’m catching up with my friends. Everyone is so friendly and welcoming, it really makes you feel like you are a part of one big family.”
In the SNAP Centre
It would not be possible to offer the wonderful services and resources we have at the centre without SNAP’s team of more than 100 committed volunteers, who work 200 plus hours each week.
Here are just some of the centre volunteer opportunities:
- Helping SNAP’s Family Support Advisers supporting parents and children at the pre-school, after school and holiday sessions.
- Helping with office admin duties.
- Helping the fundraising team.
In the Community
SNAP has a varied calendar of fundraising activities throughout the year and our team of community volunteers play an invaluable role in ensuring we attend these commitments, raising awareness of and funds for our charity.
Here are just some of the community opportunities that you could get involved with:
- Local Community Days – e.g. Strawberry Fayre and Brentwood and Shenfield Light-Up events.
- Sponsored Occasions – e.g. Brentwood Half Marathon and the Barleylands Fun Walk.
- Community Events supporting SNAP – e.g. shows, concerts.
- SNAP Social Events – e.g. our annual Quiz Night.
Register your interest in volunteering for SNAP
Volunteering for SNAP is a really rewarding experience bringing many benefits to both the charity and to the individual themselves. Whether working directly with our families or supporting our fundraising you can make a real difference to people’s lives
Award winning volunteers
The Queen’s Golden Jubilee Award for voluntary service by groups in the community (awarded to SNAP in 2003) recognised the outstanding achievement and contribution of our volunteers. Now known as the Queen’s Award for Voluntary Service, this is the highest award given to volunteer groups across the UK for outstanding work carried out in their local communities
SNAP has also been awarded The High Sheriffs’ Volunteer Centre Essex Award 2013-2014, in recognition of good practice in managing volunteers. The award also recognises the appreciation of the People of Essex for this contribution in enhancing the life of the community.
SNAP Centre Volunteer
One of our many young volunteers, Evie, has gained valuable work experience at The SNAP Centre and relishes being part of one big family…